Monday, December 3, 2012

The Christmas mantel


Happy December, everyone!

While travelling home from Pennsylvania over the Thanksgiving holiday Galen and I decided to take the "scenic" way home and avoid 95 as much as possible.  Travelling along the back roads we were able to enjoy all the bright Christmas lights and decorations that were on display and enjoyed the Christmas music in the car.  
I am now in the Christmas spirit and ready to decorate Mourning Dove Cottage for the holidays.  

I always start with the mantle for some reason.  Maybe it's the easiest place to start.  
  

I decided to make it simple this year with two hurricane lamps, candles and a white ceramic and gold angel.  I wrapped the greens with a light mauve and gold sheer ribbon and added some red berries.   



It gives off a warm glow at night when the candles are lit.  

I hung Otis and Riley's stockings (my two very spoiled dachshunds), and I'll be adding the granddaughter's stocking soon.  (I have to buy new ones this year.)



So, while I enjoy my coffee by the warm fire this morning, I am thinking of new ways to decorate the tree and the dining room and the kitchen and the outside and all the other nooks and crannies in the house, not to mention the outside.  


The boxes have been brought down from the attic.  

Now I just have to find a place for everything and let my creative juices flow.  


How about you?  Are you in the holiday spirit, and have you started decorating?  

8 comments:

La Vie Quotidienne said...

This looks lovely...such a charming place to sit and sip a cup of tea. Have fun decorating!

Balisha said...

Your mantle is beautifully done. Now enjoy with your cup of tea or coffee.
Balisha

Donna said...

It looks Beautiful!
I'm Really trying this year to get that Christmas feeling but for some reason, i can't...sigh...
Maybe it'll hit me all at once...Hahaa
hughugs

camp and cottage living said...

Lovely mantle. There's nothing like a real fire to put one in the holiday spirit!
I haven't even started yet on my decorating. None of the children are coming, so I'm having a hard time getting in the mood.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

I agree Donna....the mantle is the easiest place to start...maybe it's the stockings?!! Now that your boxes are there you'll get things done quick...at least that is the way it always is with me :) Have fun!!!
ps...the new grandbaby is adorable! She's precious!!

Happy@Home said...

Your mantle looks just beautiful, Donna and that fire looks so inviting. We haven't made a fire yet, but the decorating is pretty much done. Now onto shopping, baking, card writing ... :).

Deb said...

Hi Donna,
Everything looks so warm and inviting at your home.
I love Otis & Rileys stockings ♥

Mimi Sue said...

Your mantle is beautiful! Very warm and cozy. Mimi