Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Birdbath surprise

Remember when I told you my birdbath had fallen and was broken here, and my dearest hubby repaired it, and that I had a surprise for you?




I decided to mosaic it! I always had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to mosaic the birdbath, and now this was the perfect time to do it.






See the pink rose and the two little white dove.











Here's how it looked when hubby was repairing it.


He mixed up some concrete and filled in the cracks where the birdbath had fallen apart.









Then he secured it with bungy cords, added more concrete and smoothed it out.








Then we waited till it dried.





Now for the mosaics.

Let me remind you that I am definitely not a professional when it comes to doing this. I am rather clumsy, actually.



I cut and broke the pieces of glass and porcelain. I added a few marbles, added the rose and the dove, and then glued everything on with tile glue that I bought at Michaels.








Next for the grout.
I had this grout for another project and it was white, so when I mixed it up I added a little bit of black acrylic paint to make it more gray.










Then I put on my rubber gloves and smeared it all around and in the cracks and then smoothed it out. I'm not sure, but I think I may have put too much grout on.

Trial and error, I say.

After it dried I wiped it off with a wet cloth.






I left it cure for a few days,
then added water.









And now I have a pretty mosaic tiled birdbath.
It was a lot of work but worth it.










And, it's now back in the garden where it belongs.
















And the birds are happy.



14 comments:

Sherri said...

Donna, your birdbath is absolutely gorgeous! I am so glad you got it back in your garden. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Donna, your birdbath is so cottage garden! So creative and I bet the birds love it.

CIELO said...

It turned out beautiful... wish I'd be that creative... ;)

cielo

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love your mosaic birdbath Donna! I love the doves...so perfect for your Mourning Dove Cottage.

Donna said...

Right where it should be!! How Pretty! What a cool idea Donna...I'm Never that quick a Thinker!Hahaa
hughugs

Brenda Pruitt said...

It's beautiful! I've always said I'm going to learn to do this some day.
Brenda

Mimi Sue said...

How clever! I think it turned out great! Mimi

Zuzana said...

Wow Donna, look at that masterpiece! How lovely is that! I love your tutorial too, it could be published in a book.;))
xoxo

Happy@Home said...

Once again you have demonstrated how well you and your husband work together. Your birdbath turned out gorgeous. It looks like you have been doing it for years. The colors are so pretty together and the little doves are perfect for your cottage.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

May we say that we're happy it broke? This looks so perfect for your garden - and we love the marbles, rose & doves - it adds so much personality to the bath...what lucky birds you have Donna :)
We've wanted to mosaic some things....I think we'll have to get some grout & go get busy!

Rina ... also Chester or Daisysmum. said...

What an inprovement to the bird bath. I love it!!

Unknown said...

You guys can do anything!

jenn said...

that turned out beautiful!
i just wanted to tell you that my mom now visits your blog (you painted ginger for her)...and she just loves it! she is a total plant/flower person...and we both agree you have a gergous back yard! but she cant leave comments because she doesnt have a google account....so i just wanted to let you know that she visits and your blog brings her joy!

Catherine Holman said...

What a great idea! It's really beautiful!