Thursday, January 20, 2011

Do you remember the movie Norma Rae?

Based on a true story.......I didn't realize it, but, it took place in a small town less than an hour away from us ~ Roanoke Rapids. Interested in seeing if the mill was still standing, Galen and I took a drive up there on the weekend (it's just north of us on 95).

The mill is still standing. The JP Stevens Mill (below).





It's in the process of being torn down. The plant closed in 2003 laying off 320 workers.









I was interested in seeing the factory houses where the workers lived.





The houses are located in an area around the mill.





Row houses still standing and occupied.







Below is the main street of Roanoke Rapids.




There is also a paper mill outside of town, and below is the canal museum.




Here is the high school. Reminds me of my old high school.





The lady behind the inspiration of the making of this movie is Crystal Lee Jordan Sutton. Born and raised in Roanoke Rapids and died of brain cancer in 2009. The movie was not filmed here in Roanoke Rapids, but in Opelika, Alabama.

It was interesting to see the town and the mill after watching the movie last week and then watching the special features. That's when we found out it took place nearby and wanted to check it out.

4 comments:

Sherri said...

Donna, that is really neat to be able to see where that all took place! What a nice ride for your and Galen.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

What a fascinating piece of history, it sounds like a fun day.(-:

Pat said...

This may be strange to say...but I like things that DON'T change.

Beverly said...

Oh yes, I definitely remember this movie. However, I wasn't aware the event took place in Roanoke Rapids. I'll be sure to share this post with my husband.