Wednesday, July 15, 2015

A copy cat bird house


I have always liked "MacKenzie-Childs" things.  While looking through the catalog the other day I saw these really cute bird houses.  Whimsical and fun!  The only problem is the bird house in the catalog costs $200.  Since this is a little more than I normally spend on a bird house, I had an idea to make my own.


I found a $6.00 wooden bird house at Hobby Lobby.  I started with three coats of white paint for the base and then using a ruler I figured out my black and white squares evenly the whole way around.  After that I added color, and to top it off, I hung a crystal on the bottom of the bird house for some bling!

 
And this is how mine turned out.  It's not exactly like the MacKenzie-Childs bird houses, but close enough for me! 

 
My copy cat bird house.
 
  

11 comments:

Beverly said...

Oh, Donna, It is gorgeous! I will definitely be showing it to my husband. He is our birdhouse collector.

You should do some of these to sale. Hint! lol

Catherine Holman said...

It's beautiful Donna! I love her designs, but not the price.

Happy@Home said...

You had a great idea, Donna and the results are gorgeous. I like the added bling idea.
It made me happy to see a new post from you today.
Happy Summer.

Sue said...

Hi Donna..such an adorable birdhouse...Just as good as McKenzie Childs at the right price!! Your so very talented...Hope your having a wonderful summer and that it's not overly hot up by you...Atlanta is crazy this year with everyday almost at 100 degrees!!

Peonies & Magnolias said...

That is so cute and even better didn't have a McKenzie price tag attached. Love it.

Mimi Sue said...

It's adorable! Love bright things in my garden. Mimi

Sherri said...

Donna, that bird house came out so cute!! I love it! You have such a wonderful talent. The best part is your got something you really love and it wasn't $200!!!! Good for you :)!

Donna said...

These are SO pretty Donna!
Checking on you! Hope all is well...
hughugs

Unknown said...

What a great looking bird house. My wife would love to be able to have some kind of way to know how to do this kind of copying for her favorite products. I think that being able to know all the different things that can be done to help make a great looking garden can make all the difference. Hopefully this will be something that can be a great point of inspiration for others. Thank you for sharing.

http://www.ericsgiftworld.com/dept-30060

Pat said...

Howdy !!! Love the bird house. I miss seeing your creative works of art.

Unknown said...

The black and white checkered pattern for this "Copy Cat Birdhouse" looks really great. I also love the use of red, green, and yellow stripes with white polka-dots on top of the roof. The contrast of these two patterns somehow pulls really well together to create a very eclectic and unique birdhouse. Thanks for posting this!