Monday, October 15, 2007

"The Enchanted April"


I found this great book at Goodwill a few weeks ago and just finished it. It's an old classic titled "The Enchanted April" by Elizabeth Von Arnim.
It's about four very diverse women all seeking revitalization from the dreary February rains of London in the 1920s. They rent a small castle at San Salvatore, in Portofino, Italy, for the month of April.
Arriving at San Salvatore, they find it "awash with the scent of flowers, its olive groves terracing down to the sun-warmed sea." As the weeks move on they find themselves resuscitated and transformed by the magic of San Salvatore.

If you like fairytales, you will love this book.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Donna,
Sounds like a great book. I think I remember seeing part of the movie...
Please stop by my blog to pick up your award -- you definitely "make me smile"!
xoxo,
Mary

Sheila said...

I was going to comment and say I think this was made into a film, but your previous guest beat me to it. I must look for it, and the book, it sounds appealing.