Hello friends. I thought I'd share a recipe with you today. I first tasted tomato pie at the "Tomato Pie Cafe" in Lititz, Pennsylvania when we visited in September. It was so delicious, I just had to make one.
I used the last of the fresh tomatoes from the garden and fresh basil. This pie is made with fresh chopped tomatoes, basil and onions, topped with a mixture of shredded cheese and mayonnaise, baked in a pie shell.
The recipe I used was from Simply Recipes.
Tomato Pie ~
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- 1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped
- 3-4 tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approximately 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced basil (about 8 leaves)
- 2 cups grated cheese (combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Gruyere or Mozarella)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Pre-bake the pie shell in the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
2. Lightly salt the chopped tomatoes and set them in a colander over a bowl to drain while you are pre-baking the crust. Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes.
3. Sprinkle a layer of chopped onion over the bottom of your pre-baked pie crust shell. Spread the drained chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.
4. In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground pepper. The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snow ball. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
5. Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, about 45 minutes.
A savory pie that is absolutely yummy!