Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mint tea and stevia

Hello my friends!  I hope all of you had a lovely Mother's Day.  Here it is the middle of May and already we are having hot sunny weather with temps in the 90's.  


Herbal mint iced tea is one of the drinks we like to drink all summer long.  I have mint growing wild along the back fence.  The more you cut it, the more it grows and spreads!  So if you want to control it, plant it in a pot.  

Simple recipe for mint tea:  boil water in a large pot.  Add about five or six stalks of mint.  Let it steep for a few minutes, then pour in a pitcher.  



This year at the garden center I found an herb called stevia.  I thought I would try it as a natural sweetner.  It works great!  Just add the leaves when you are making the tea, or add a few leaves to your glass.  



Since stevia is a perennial (in our zone) I may buy another plant and put it in a sunny spot in the garden.  
Enjoy your day!  

10 comments:

Balisha said...

Thanks for the tip. I make mint tea the same way, but haven't tried stevia. I'll look for it at my nursery.
Balisha

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Sounds so refreshing, Donna! Pinning...thanks for sharing!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That sounds refreshing!

Linda said...

I love mint tea and this sounds amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.

MAYBELLINE said...

I could not get my stevia seeds to germinate. Or perhaps they did and the snails went to town.

Pondside said...

I have read about stevia and have seen it in the garden centre. I guess I'll just have to buy some, inspired by this post. Your tea sounds so very refreshing.

Happy@Home said...

Although I've been growing mint for years, this year was the first time I made iced tea with it. I used the same method that you use. I think it is such a pretty color and perfectly refreshing for our hot summers.

Mimi Sue said...

I'll have to look for a stevia plant! I made the mistake of planting mint in the ground and it took over! A pot is what I'll do next time. Mimi

Donna said...

Thanks for the recipe Donna!!!
hughugs

Babs said...

I love mint and have a big container of it, but I haven't tried Stevia. I saw some at one of the garden centers, but I forget which and now I need to look for it again. Thanks for the tips and inspiration.