Friday, January 13, 2012

Moving furniture and redecorating


 January seems to bring on the "need for change" here at Mourning Dove Cottage and every year around this time I find myself cleaning, organizing, and redecorating the house.

One simple change I made was add a tablecloth to the breakfast nook which now makes it feel more cozy. 


The bookcase that was once in the dining room was moved to the living room and is now by the front window with a lamp that I like to keep turned on low all day long.  A pretty antique lamp should be enjoyed, don't you think, and I like the warm glow it brings to the room.  The bookcase fits perfectly under the window and is filled with books along side the breakfront that is also filled with books.  So many books.....

The sideboard server now replaces the bookcase in the dining room corner. 


 I brought an old pine trunk from the bedroom and put it behind the sofa where the sideboard once was.    I'm not sure this will stay here, but for now that's where it is.


 So the moving of furniture might or might not continue, but I must thank hubby for all his help the past few days, and for putting up with my great ideas.  Change is good, I tell him. 


More "tweaking" to do and the decorating continues.

Have a great weekend everyone!

19 comments:

Sherri said...

Donna, everything looks great it its new place!!

camp and cottage living said...

Donna
I love your lamp in the window. I don't think there is anything more welcoming to a home than a warm glowing lamp in the window.
I think our 'tweaking' does wonders for making our homes feel fresh again. We all get tired of looking at the same arrangements.
And you have some very nice pieces!

Happy@Home said...

I, too, like your lamp in the window. I think that is such a cozy look.
Your redecorating looks so nice . I haven't been moving any furniture, but I have been moving books. I have way too many and have decided to do a bit of thinning.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

How neat. It fun that you have some beautiful pieces that can be used in various ways. Love what you did!

Rhondi said...

Rearranging furniture is my favorite way to redecorate and I like the price!!

Catherine Holman said...

You home looks so very cozy Donna. My furniture is so hard to arrange because there are so many large doorways and windows. I always end up putting it back where it was.
Hugs,
Cathie

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Tis the season! Love your changes, looks great (I'd still have bits and pieces sitting around yet!!) Karrie and I were just saying we need to have each other over to rearrange (our husbands are not as patient as yours ~ lol!)
Have a lovely weekend!

Pondside said...

January just seems to call for this sort of tweaking, doesn't it? I love your red walls!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love all of the fluffing you have been doing. The French Provencal tablecloth is perfect!

Janet said...

Looks great Donna; sometimes the smallest tweaks can make us the happiest :)

Babs said...

Donna, Isnt' it fun moving everything around? Your house looks great and I really like the pine chest.Great piece!
Babs

Zuzana said...

It looks lovely dear Donna, it is so fun to redecorate.;) I think I will too in the summer.;))
xoxo

Donna said...

I love all that you've done Donna! Also love that lamp! Gorgeous!
hughugs

Beverly said...

Donna, it is all looking wonderful. I get "the itch" the first of the year, too.

And, the dog portrait is amazing. The owner must be thrilled.

Peonies & Magnolias said...

What a great way to start the new year and everything looks fabulous. Hope you have a great week.

Sandy

Heather said...

Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog!

HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

Mimi Sue said...

I love little lamps shining in the window. So cozy. Yours is adorable. Lucky you to have some signs of spring already! Mimi

Sunny Simple Life said...

I just love the red corner in your kitchen. So very cozy. I was glad you were able to get on the blog. Whatever the problem was seems to be better as a few people tell me they can now load it without a problem.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You have such a beautiful home! I've been cleaning and 'tweaking' some today, too! ♥