Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lights on


On gray rainy days I usually find myself turning lights on all over the house, how about you? Today is one of those days. I have lights on in the dining room, the living room, the kitchen, the study, the bedroom, the baths ~

good for the mood, but maybe not the electric bill.


The lamp in the photo below, Galen and I bought when we were first married. It's one of my favorite lamps.
 



Kitchen lights bring a warm glow from the red walls.


 This lamp (below) in the study is another one we bought early in our marriage at an antique shop.


This lamp was my grandmother's ~ I replaced the shade.


You can find night lights all over our house too! These lights stay on all the time. This little rose night light I found at Goodwill. I think I paid $2.00 for it.


Another Goodwill find. This one sits in our bedroom on top of the armoire.


There are night lights in the bathrooms.


The one below we got at auction years ago.
 


Would you believe, another Goodwill find! This one sits in the kitchen on top of the refrigerator.




And this little night light (below) which we have in the dining room, we bought on our 25th anniversary in Wilmington, NC at an antique shop.


Of course, lighting candles on a gray day helps the mood too, and it makes the whole house smell good...it also saves on the electric bill!

20 comments:

Jan said...

You have certainly put a light on my morning. Thanks.

Stacey said...

You have some amazing lamps. I'm with you - must have light! On those days I just don't worry about the electric bill!!

Anonymous said...

Your lights are gorgeous...especially those art-deco looking ones. I think art-deco is the right description, correct me if I'm wrong.
It's rainy and dank in NJ today, think I'll go turn on some lights and make some tea.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

You have such a warm and pretty home, Donna! I love all your lamps and nightlights. I still own some lamps I bought when we were first married and my favorite is a small stained glass lamp we purchased from an artist.

Enjoy this rainy day!

Hugs, Pat

Ruth Welter said...

Hi Donna, your house first of all, looks very lovely. I'm the same way, lights go on all the time and stay on all day, on these gray , dark days... We're having one today as a matter of fact.

Ruth

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna and I love your lights! Now those two vintage lamps with the beautiful shades are just to die for! I'm just like you - I hate a dark house and leave lots of lights on!!
Now I would love you to snap a picture of yourself for me! Let me know if you do!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Love your lamps!! We love even more that they all don't match!!
Have a **BRIGHT** day!!

Pat said...

Amazing how you can make a creative post out of lights!
Your home decor is a dream of mine.


Is it possible it's gloomy all over the world today?
Reading a number of blogs with that sentiment.

Sue said...

The lamp you got when you were first married is really beautiful...you home looks lovely..

Linda O'Neill said...

Those are great shots! Your house looks so cozy and inviting with those lights, Donna!

The Painted Garden said...

Hi Donna,

What a beautiful post on the fabulous lights in your home. Sometimes you just need to "turn the lights on" to light up your day. I enjoyed getting a peek at your lovely home. Otis and Riley are too cute - your paintings of them are great.
Erin

Zuzana said...

I love this post Donna, what a great idea to show of your lamps! And they are so beautiful. What a joy for me to see this on a very dark, rainy November Friday morning.
You have indeed a lovely home.:)

Donna said...

I LOVE ALL your Lamps!!! Beautiful sweetie!!hughugs

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Wow you've found some really good lights at Goodwill! I found one light there that I liked enough to buy. Your home looks so cozy with the lights on!

Manuela

Mimi Sue said...

You have a great collection of lamps. I love little lamps and their soft glow. In our dark house I need a little light or it gets kind of gloomy. Mimi

RoyalTLady said...

Donna,

What have you? You certainly have lighted up my early morning hour(s)...it's 1:37am here in Malaysia.

I shall turn my lights off now. But yours would remain well lighted up in here to brighten our moods.

It looks like you almost have half the light shop in your "collection". Thank you for sharing.

Fifi Flowers said...

Thanks for the light show!
We could sure use some rain here! Horrible fires all over and unhealthy air... we are forced to stay indoors... yuck!
ENJOY your week ahead!
Fifi

Baby Vagabond said...

I am such a lamp girl! This post was a de"light" :-)

We switched over to all florescent bulbs so I don't feel quite so bad living my ambient lighting on .... most of the day!

Have a great week,
((hugs)) Rosie

Rhondi said...

Hi Donna
I turn all the lights on too on a dull day. It cheers me up and makes our home feel cosy. You have some beautiful lamps.
I hope that you get your computer problem straightened out soon.
Hugs, Rhondi

Unknown said...

You are going to have to send cute little Riley and Otis out to work to pay for your electric bill! :)

Your "puddy dawgs" are really cute. I have a cat named Riley and she was named that because I guaranteed she would lead the "Life of Riley" when she came to live with me. Hope your weekend is sunny and bright!