Thursday, August 2, 2007

Finally, mosaic

My first mosaic project! I have been wanting to do mosaics for such a long time and never got around to it. I did some research on it, however, I must say this was a total trial and error project. I chose a dish, actually it's a terra cotta plate that goes under a flower pot; I primed it with white paint and then just started glueing on the broken pieces of china, pottery, glass, marbles and bits of jewelry. After everything was glued on, it was on to the grouting. This was the scary part. I wasn't sure how much to mix, and didn't know if I would get the right consistency. But I proceeded, slathered it on the plate and filled in all the little nooks and crannies. So, that's done, however, I have a lot of grout left. Panic! What do I do with it. If I let it in the container it will harden, can't rinse it down the drain, where do I pour it? Well, I put down some newspaper and dumped it on there. I shaped a big face, put in some left over tile and marbles, and taa daa, I have a garden stone.

Wow! I'm done. It was a lot of work but I'm already thinking about my next project.

No comments: